Friday, August 1, 2014

Brant's August 2014 Playlist


Well, it's pouring rain as I write this - but I still approached August with Summer and sunny days in mind.  This month is loaded up with lots of islandy beats and driving-with-the-windows-open-and-the-stereo-blasting selections.   Hopefully the weather will catch up with the music.  Enjoy!  To listen on Spotify click HERE.

1.  Mr. Tembo (Damon Albarn) - In my head, this is the love-child of Paul Simon's "Graceland" album and Arrested Development's "Mr. Wendall".  From the latest solo outing of Blur/Gorillaz' lead singer.

2.  My Diamond (Timothy Bloom) - Songwriter for Ne-You and Chris Brown strikes out on his own with all-new material.  Sounds like Lenny Kravitz jamming with Santana!

3.  Budapest (George Ezra) - British songwriter has a folksy 1970s vibe.

4.  Call (Francesco Yates) - Plucked from my friend Robert's Facebook wall.  Young Canadian looks like Leo Sayer and sounds like Chris Isaak!   And Pharrell is a fan!

5.  Sexotheque (La Roux) - Elly Jackson is baaaaaack!!!  5 years after La Roux's debut, new material is finally here - and worth the wait.  So are "Sexotheques" a thing, and why haven't I heard of them before now?  SPOILER ALERT:  Expect more La Roux on future playlists!

6.  Lovers on the Run (Echo and the Bunnymen) - Another unexpected comeback!  Ian McCullough's voice sounds EXACTLY the same!!!  So true to their original sound that I had to double-check to make sure this wasn't unreleased material from the 1980s.

7.  Loves Me Not (Cris Cab) - Speaking of double-checking, I was sure this was Sting or the Police when I heard it on the internet radio.  Turns out it's Miami native Cris Cab!

8.  Skinny Love (Birdy) - This was a no-brainer.  With a combination of Birdy's angelic vocals, and a song by Bon Iver - how could it not be fantastic???  J'adore it.

9.  Stay High /Hippie Sabotage Remix/ (Tove Lo) - One of our chillin'-on-the-porch jams that my neighbor Dave turned me on to.

10.  Killer on the Streets (the Raveonettes) - Jangly guitars and tons of feedback make for a dancing-in-my-chair tune about loving the wrong person (and savoring every minute of it).

11.  Rather Be (Clean Bandit feat. Jess Glynne) - This has been around for a few months, but I still love its feel-good vibe and great vocal performance.

12.  Rainy Day Woman (Kat Edmonson) - Okay, this song suits today's rainy weather!  Great mix of old school jazz (does anyone else hear Billie Holiday?) and 1960s soul.

13.  Can't Say Goodbye (Cary Ann Hearst) - Jill had this on her last playlist and I loved it.  Sassy country that would make Wanda Jackson proud.

14.  High (Young Rising Sons) - Are these the new Jersey Boys???  Great falsetto vocals and catchy chorus, and they're actually from New Jersey!

15.  Let Your Hair Down (Magic!) - Josh sent me this and I immediately downloaded it.  Easy reggae that makes me think of sunsets by the sea and sipping Red Stripe beer.

16.  After All This (Jay Brannan) - Confessional songwriting in the style of Ani DiFranco or Jewel.  Going to see his show later this month - can't wait!  (And he "liked" when I responded that I was attending his show on Facebook - that's class.)

17.  Call Me (St. Paul and the Broken Bones) - Fantastic soul from Alabama band!

18.  True Love /Soledrifter Remix/ (Corduroy Mavericks feat. EmTre) - Groovy poolside beats prove that there's more than just bluegrass coming out of Kentucky.

So that's August!  Next month is birthday month - so not exactly sure what I'm going to put together.  I always allow myself a little more creative license as a birthday indulgence.  See you then!  Enjoy the rest of your summer!!!

No comments: