Sunday, September 30, 2018

Brant's October 2018 Playlist

New music.  Some sweet new headphones.  What could possibly go wrong?


Well, here we are with September behind us, and only three months left in 2018.  What's been going on?  Brett Kavanaugh is pursuing his seat on the Supreme Court like Michael Myers pursuing Jamie Lee Curtis, which is surprisingly on point since "Halloween" premiered 40 years ago this month.  I've also got some killer new songs to share.  This month I seemed to gravitate towards jazz and R&B numbers, so grab some candy corn and settle in for some smooth beats and funky basslines.  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.

1.  Love Just Ain't Enough (Kara Marni) - London artist emotes over tribal beats and a cowbell!

2.  Whathegirlmuthafuckinwannadoo (the Coup with Janelle Monáe) - I would follow Janelle Monáe anywhere!!!  Here she's serving groovy old-school soul that would make Betty Wright proud!

3.  You're Somebody Else (flora cash) - Husband and wife duo made their American TV debut with this song on "The Late Late Show with James Corden" back in August.  Dreamy vocals over minimal instrumentation.

4.  Party Tyme (Madeleine Peyroux) - Peyroux is another artist I've grown to love over the years.  Her new album "Anthem" deals with the challenges of modern-day life, and this one is a slightly dark/slightly humorous take on life in rehab.

5.  Tieduprightnow (Parcels) - German band has clearly been listening to their parents' Nile Rodgers/Chic disco records!

6.  Count on Me (Jefferson Starship) - Founder and lead singer Marty Balin died this month.  He had a tempestuous history with the band, but there's no denying they made great music together!  RIP.

7.  Run Run (RAY BLK) - Reggae-tinged song details the singer's experiences on the streets of London.

8.  Adeus America (Susannah McCorkle) - I'm not sure where I heard this song, but Pandora or Spotify or somebody suggested it to me and I was immediately hooked to its easy samba beats.  Sad to hear the singer committed suicide back in the early 2000s.

9.  You Used to Hold Me So Tight /Club Mix/ (Reel People feat. Angela Johnson) - One of my fave Thelma Houston songs gets a fantastic update!

10.  Comeback (Ssion) - I had "Tell Me About It" on last month's playlist, but there was too much deliciousness on Ssion's newest album not to include another selection for October.

11.  New Birth in New England (Phosphorescent) - References to beer?  Tropical beats?  I think it's fair to compare this to Jimmy Buffett, in all the best ways!

12.  Here I Am (Dolly Parton with Sia) -  I would never have put these two together, but they make magic!!!  An update of Dolly's 1971 ballad.

13.  Dope Queen Blues (Adia Victoria) - Nashville-based singer delivers some bluesy soul.

14.  100 Miles and Running (Logic feat. Wale and John Lindahl) - I don't usually put a lot of hip hop on my lists, because frankly I don't feel like I'm a good judge of it - but I do know what I like!  Logic and friends serve up some lightning-fast rhymes over Incredible Bongo Band's "Apache".

15.  Dust /Dimitri from Paris vs Cotonete Discomix/ (Gizelle Smith) - French collaborators Dimitri from Paris and Cotonete transform Gizelle Smith's funky soul workout into a sizzling disco jam that would've gotten the Studio 54 crowd moving!

16.  Lucretia My Reflection (Sisters of Mercy) - I always like to have a Halloween song on my October playlists, and pretty much any Sisters of Mercy song fits the bill.  FULL DISCLOSURE:  I used to think the chorus was saying, "Vampire down!!!"  (It's really saying "Empire down")  Still works for Halloween, though, since they later ask to "dance the ghost with me"!

So that's October.  Hope everyone has a safe and spooky Halloween, and I'll see you next month!




No comments: