Saturday, July 30, 2022

Brant's August 2022 Playlist

You never know what that new Webb Telescope is going to find out there! 

It's a Saturday, and summer is in full swing.  After meeting a friend at his pool yesterday and deciding it was too hot to be outside - I decided to spend this afternoon finishing up August's playlist.  Usually I steer towards Indie artists and those performers people may not know, but there have been so many A-list artists putting out great music that I went ahead and added them in.  So, for every up-and-comer we have a Beyoncé, Harry Styles, Lizzo, etc.  Anyway, here's this month's list, published early so you can enjoy it as part of YOUR weekend (be it indoors or outdoors).  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.


1.  Killing Me (Coin) - We had "Chapstick" on January's playlist, and now they're back with another peppy alt-rocker.  I'll be paying attention to this Nashville band moving forward! 

2.  The Girls (Albertine Sarges) - This tune reminds me of the quirky female-led songs from artists like Lene Lovich and the B-52s back in the 80s.  

3.  Wake Up (Young the Giant) - The latest anthemic offering from California rockers!  

4.  Music for a Sushi Restaurant (Harry Styles) - Harry's new album seems to vacillate between peppy horns-forward ditties and yacht rock.  I'm mostly favoring the former.  

5.  Everybody's Gay (Lizzo) - Viva La Lizzo!!!

6.  Hi-Fidelity (Lava La Rue feat. Biig Piig) - Easygoing funk collab between non-binary poet/artist/musician and Irish artist Biig Piig. 

7.  You're No Good (Weyes Blood) - Okay, it's starting to look like I'll have this entire "Minions" soundtrack on a playlist somewhere, but there are so many good songs!  Here's Weyes Blood covering Linda Rondstadt! 

8.  No Mistakes (Sarah Shook & the Disarmers) - I loved this song the first time I heard it.  What a pleasant surprise to see she's a North Carolina native!  She's serving "country punk and twang" and I am HERE for it! 

9.  (Remember Me) I'm the One Who Loves You (Watkins Family Hour feat. Fiona Apple) - Fiona follows her muse wherever it leads, and I like that.  For this number, she joins Sara and Sean Watkins (formerly of Nickel Creek) to do their rendition of a Johnny Cash standard.  

10.  Waiting by the Window (mokina, carbeau) - From American country to Brazilian bossa nova!  I always enjoy a lil' bossa nova in the summertime.  

11.  Different Colors x Pride (Walk The Moon feat. Jake Wesley Rogers) - My friend Lynn turned me on to Jake Wesley Rogers.  What a treat to hear him do this song with frequent Brantworld listees Walk The Moon for last month's Pride! 

12.  Never Really Loved Me (Kygo feat. Dean Lewis) - I don't know who Dean Lewis is, but I love this man's voice!  Kygo always manages to find quality vocalists for his stuff. 

13.  Life's Too Short (Adesha feat. Vincent Kwok) - Eric turned me on to this lady, and I'm digging the 80s old-school vibes she delivers.

14.  Sneakers (ITZY) - This K-pop group is giving me Spice Girl nostalgia.  Unapologetically exuberant and youthful.  

15.  sheluvme (Tai Verdes) - Cool R&B performance from handsome Californian.  I wish it were longer!  Can we go back to songs that are more than 3 minutes long, pleeeeeeease???

16.  Cuff It (Beyoncé) - I'd be remiss if I didn't have something from Bey's new album!  I fully expect to be hearing selections from "Renaissance" on dance floors for the rest of the year (and beyond)!  

17.  Like I Never Left (Kid Bloom) - Trippy psych-rock from young West Coast artist.

18.  Back On My Love (Pure Shores) - Another song to get you back on the dance floor! 

19.  Let's Get It On /Flight Facilities Remix/ (Marvin Gaye) - Remixing Marvin Gaye is a bold undertaking, but I think these guys nailed it!  Flight Facilities build on the original without completely bastardizing something that really didn't need changing.  

So that's August!  Stay cool, and I'll (hopefully) see you next month!

No comments: