Sunday, November 30, 2014

Brant's Christmas 2014 Playlist


I like the holidays!  I really do!!!  But I insist on taking them in order.  Christmas will not be acknowledged until the last of the Thanksgiving leftovers has been eaten.  As I see Facebook friends putting up Christmas trees immediately after Halloween and have even heard Christmas music in October, I suspect I may be in the minority regarding this.  But whatevs.  Here's December's Holiday/Christmas playlist - right on schedule.  To listen on Spotify click HERE.

1.  Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Ella Fitzgerald) - If one could wear out a CD, I would have worn out "Ella Wishes You a Swingin' Christmas".  One of my personal faves.  I was shocked it hasn't shown up on previous playlists.

2.  Happy Holiday/The Holiday Season (Manhattan Transfer) - Jazzy vocal quartet tackles the Andy Williams classic with their usual expertise.

3.  All My Bells Are Ringing (Lenka) - Speaking of previous playlists, this was on my 2010 holiday playlist, but I never get tired of it.  A playful, innocent holiday love song.

4.  Sleet and Snow (My First Tooth) - Charming winter folk-pop.

5.  The Christmas Waltz (She & Him) - I love how this duo can strip a song down to its basics and let it shine.  Sometimes all you need is a great voice and a great song.

6.  I Don't Wanna Spend One More Christmas Without You (N-Sync) - And sometimes all you need is five great voices in a boy band!

7.  The Christmas Song (Whitney Houston) - The holidays are always about reconnecting with old friends.  Hearing Whitney's crystal-clear voice again feels like a reunion.  Gone but not forgotten.

8.  Christmas in L.A.  (the Killers with Dawes) - Every year the Killers serve up a holiday tune for charity.  This is last year's offering - a wistful rock song with West Coast band Dawes.

9.  Rocking Around the Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee) - A classic holiday song that needs no introduction!

10.  The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot (Jimmy Ray) - This is the Debbie Downer of the playlist!  I had the Vera Lynn version on my 2011 holiday playlist, but here we get a male vocal telling the hilariously pitiful tale.

11.  Only You Can Bring Me Cheer (Alison Krauss) - Bluegrass queen serves up a surprisingly groovy holiday ditty!

12.  Please Come Home for Christmas (Anita Cochran) - Countrified version of the Charles Brown/Eagles' song.

13.  That Special Time of Year (Gladys Knight & the Pips) - I always wondered why there were no disco Christmas songs!  Should have known Gladys had it covered.

14.  I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day (Leona Lewis) - The British Mariah Carey singing Wizzard's glam-rock extravaganza.

15.  Christmas/Baby Please Come Home (Slow Club) - Faithful alt-rock cover of the Darlene Love anthem.

16.  OMG It's Christmas (Family of the Year) - Feel-good folk rock that feels very true to this band's existing catalog of music.

17.  Let It Snow (Glee Cast) - Okay, I haven't watched "Glee" in years, but where else are we going to find two guys (Kurt and Blaine!) singing this as a duet???

18.  I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm (Billie Holiday) - Another single that has been in heavy rotation on my iPod, but never made it onto a playlist.

19.  Silent Night (Pentatonix) - These folks are amazeballs with their vocals and acapella performances!!!

20.  What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? (Ledisi) - Closing out 2014 with one of my favorite songs, performed by one of my favorite R&B divas.

So that's December's playlist.  Hope everyone has a great holiday season!  Take lots of pics, eat lots of yummy food, and I will see you in 2015!

No comments: