Monday, February 29, 2016

Brant's March 2016 Playlist


I got one extra day to pull together March's playlist this year!  It was a beautiful Leap Day here in the CLT.  I went for a cruise in my friend's convertible, then came back and threw open my windows as I listened to the final draft of this month's playlist.  It skewed a little heavy on the duets and R&B tunes, but nothing wrong with that!  Hope you enjoy.  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.

1.  Am I Wrong (Anderson .Paak) - I really like this guy!  We had him on last month's playlist, but this funky groove seemed like a delicious way to start the new month.

2.  Talk to Me (Nick Brewer) - How many times has someone sampled Crystal Waters' 1991 classic "Gypsy Woman"???  According to Wikipedia, more than 15 times!!!  This is the latest tune to do so - and I love how the tempo changes back and forth.

3.  Should've Gone Home (Mans Zelmerlow) - Handsome Swede, who recently won the Eurovision Song Contest, apparently can't keep it zipped - much to his girlfriend's distress.  Bad for her, good for us if it means we get this great ballad.

4.  Wet Dream (Vanity 6) - sigh.  Vanity's death really made me sad.  I debated which song to put on this month's list, and rather than choose "Nasty Girl" or one of her solo hits, I landed on this one.  It's an album cut from the Vanity 6 album that's always been a personal fave.  RIP

5.  Entropy (Grimes feat. Bleachers) - I continue to adore all things Grimes.  Here, she collaborates with Bleachers on this song for the HBO hit show "Girls".

6.  Somethin' From Nothin' (Fairground Saints) - LA folk trio serves up some sunny harmonies vaguely reminiscent of Fleetwood Mac.

7.  Any Road (Butch Walker) - This is from the George Fest concert album, in tribute to George Harrison.  Kinda cool to hear one of my fave songwriters singing one of Harrison's last songs.

8.  Where Did She Go (the Struts) - Another repeat artist from a previous playlist. UK band gave us "Kiss This" on my October 2015 list, now they're back with this tasty garage-rock morsel.

9.  Everything It Takes (Loretta Lynn with Elvis Costello) - Loretta is back and sounding as great as ever!!!  I love how she just follows her own muse and records music that is true to her spirit.  Can't wait to hear the rest of her new album.

10.  Love Me (the 1975) - The latest from Manchester band sounds like the love child of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Duran Duran.  Where's a mosh pit when you need one???

11.  Lemon Trees (Eagulls) - More UK rock to keep the party going.  This one sounds more like early 80s Simple Minds to my ears.

12.  Weak (Wet) - Gorgeous vocals over a chill electronic beat.

13.  Skipping Stones (Gallant feat. Jhene Aiko) - Astonishing falsetto vocals that would make Prince proud.  Jhene Aiko adds just the right amount of silky restraint to balance Gallant's vocal acrobatics.

14.  Back and Forth (B.o.B.) - Bobby Ray Simmons, aka B.o.B., may think the world is flat, but as long as he's serving up great music like this - we'll just pretend it's a dance floor!

15.  Spirits (the Strumbellas) - Hand-clappin' indie rock from North of the Border (Canada).

16.  Left Handed Kisses (Andrew Bird with Fiona Apple) - Quirky duet from two quirky performers.

17.  Stolen Car /Mico C Radio Remix/ (Mylene Farmer with Sting) - ANOTHER duet!  I don't speak French, so have no idea what she's saying, but this lighthearted groove stole my heart (if not my car).

18.  Wherever You Will Go (Charlene Soraia) - British singer performs an acoustic, piano-driven version of the Calling's 2001 hit.

So that's March!  Now that you've got new music, put on your best green wig and grab your favorite leprechaun.  Hope everyone has a safe St. Paddy's day, and I'll see you in April!


No comments: