Thursday, November 10, 2016

Brant's November 2016 Playlist

The Funnel of Luft wasn't as romantic as the Tunnel of Love, but at least your insurance covered it.


11 days late.  That's got to be a record.  I'll spare you the details, but let's just say November has been a rough month so far - and not just because of the election craziness.  The tunes this month skew towards the mellow and soothing side, which is probably by design.  Hope you enjoy.  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.

1.  Anything for You (the Wind and the Wave) - I love this band!!!  Patricia Lynn's voice takes me to my happy place.  What a great surprise to see they had a new album out.

2.  Anywhere (Passenger) - I had his duet with Birdy on last month's playlist, but this toe-tappin' tune was too good not to include for November's list.

3.  Be Thankful for What You Got (Rumer) - Another female vocalist that instantly soothes me.  She's working on a new album of Bacharach songs, but until that comes out - here's her tasty cover of William DeVaughn's 1974 soul standard.

4.  Indian Summer (Jai Wolf) - New York artist serves up some otherworldly beats and trippy vocals that sound like a Yodeler from outer space.

5.  In Too Deep (Dead or Alive) - Lead singer Pete Burns died last month, so I wanted to include something of his.  Dead or Alive was seriously one of the bands that provided the soundtrack to my teen years.  RIP.

6.  Midnight Serenade /Kungs Remix/ (Omi feat. Erik Hassle) - I was a little shocked to learn this was Swedish singer Erik Hassle providing the vocals on this dance track!  I would have sworn it was a reggae singer.

7.  I Love You Always Forever /Viceroy Remix/ (Betty Who) - Delicious cover of Donna Lewis' 1996 hit.

8.  Say You Won't Let Go (James Arthur) - British singer/songwriter begs a loved one to hang in there.  After some of the controversies he's been through, that may be a tough request!

9.  How Deep Is the Ocean?  (Miss Toni Fisher) - Mitch turned me on to this 1959 tune.  Bold female vocals that are slightly reminiscent of Judy Garland.

10.  Talkin' All That Jazz /Dim's Radio Edit/ (Stetsasonic) - This one popped up on my iPod, and I forgot how much I liked it.  Dimitri from Paris takes Stetsasonic's 1988 hip hop banger and turbocharges it with a disco backbeat.

11.  Sweet Addiction (Yuksek feat. H.E.R.) - Funky French electronica

12.  Million Reasons (Lady Gaga) - When I heard she was doing a country-influenced album, I was concerned - but gotta say Mama Monster makes it work!

13.  The World's Smiling Now (Jim James) - My Morning Jacket vocalist/guitarist goes solo with this 1960s-styled contemplative ballad.

14.  Daddy Lessons (Beyonce' with the Dixie Chicks) - Is everybody going country???  Taken from Beyonce's "Lemonade" album, Bey honors her Houston roots with fellow Texan band at the 2016 CMAs.  Not on Spotify, but you can hear it on Soundcloud.

15. A Little Uncanny (Conor Oberst) - There are solo albums and there are SOLO albums.  Prolific singer/songwriter recorded his new album over a 48 hour period during a winter in Nebraska - just him with a guitar, piano, and harmonica.  But with great songwriting, you don't need bells and whistles.

16.  Move (Saint Motel) - Sexy swagger from Los Angeles band that I've featured on other playlists.

17.  Up & Up (Coldplay) - I've always appreciated Coldplay, but gotta say this new album of theirs is really resonating with me.  Here they partner with Noel Gallagher for this gorgeous hymn.  Seemed like a great way to end the playlist and gear us up (and up!) for the holidays.

So that's November's list.  Sorry it was late.  Hopefully I can get December's music posted on schedule.  Happy Holidays!!!




No comments: