Friday, June 30, 2023

Brant's July 2023 Playlist

Amateur fireworks are best enjoyed from a distance...

Welp - summer is definitely here.  You can see the heat radiating off the city streets, and forest fires up north are filling the skies with haze, which just makes it even more uncomfortable to be outside.  Fortunately, you can listen to this month's playlist indoors - even if a few tunes are geared towards the summer season.   After a month of Pride playlists, I found myself gravitating towards music that was more, shall we say, organic:  lots of Americana and Indie Rock.  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.  

1.  Dance with Everybody (Drew Holcomb & the Neighbors with National Parks) - This seemed like a nice upbeat way to get us started!  Wholesome feel-good vibes from Tennesee natives. 

2.  Talkin' to Myself (Sarah Shook & the Disarmers) - I'm still digging this NC band!  Here's hoping they come through Charlotte sometime.  

3.  Not Strong Enough (boygenius) - The latest from Indie supergroup.  

4.  Summertime (Amanda Shires with Bobbie Nelson & Willie Nelson) - How did I not know Willie Nelson had a musical sister?  Fortunately Amanda Shires recorded a new album with pianist Bobbie Nelson.  It's beautiful and bittersweet, given that Bobbie passed away just months after they finished the record.  On this particular song, brother Willie joins the festivities.  

5.  Heatwave in the Cold North (Reverend & the Makers) - This was a comeback I never expected.  Back in 2007, "Heavyweight Champion of the World" was my jam!  What a treat to hear this new song from the English rock band.  

6.  Red Wine Supernova (Chappell Roan) - Chappell Roan seems to be stepping into the space vacated by Katy Perry, and I'm here for it!  

7.  Luna (Roosevelt) - One year ago I drove solo down to Atlanta to see Roosevelt perform, and it was absolutely worth it!  His musicianship and songwriting are top notch.  I'm looking forward to the new album, and in the meantime I'll be enjoying the strumming & strutting on display here!  

8.  Popular (the Weeknd, Playboi Carti, and Madonna) - Sadly Madonna had to postpone her new tour due to health concerns.  Here's hoping she rallies!  

9.  Gold (Little Dragon) - Another welcome comeback! Yukimi Nagano and the gang doing what they do best! 

10.  Look My Way (Kevin Ross) - Silky slow jam from Washington DC singer/songwriter.

11.  Energy (Bondax feat. Andreya Triana) - Disco never died in Europe, and with great offerings like this one still coming out - I think it's here (there?) to stay!

12.  Shy Boy (Carly Rae Jepsen) - Oh, CRJ!  How I adore thee!  And the Midnight Star shoutout is on point!  Welcome back! 

13.  Can I Call You Tonight? (Dayglow) - I actually heard this playing at a microbrewery last month and Shazammed it.  Easygoing alt-rock from 2018.  

14.  Kid (the Revivalists) - We had them exactly 7 years ago on my July 2016 playlist!  Hand-clapping Americana from New Orleans band.  

15.  Breakfast in Birmingham (Tanya Tucker with Brandi Carlile) - Brandi continues to revitalize a living legend!  Some people's voices convey their lived experience, and Tanya Tucker is definitely one of them. 

16.  I Feel You (NoSo) - The slow-building tension from this American non-binary artist reminds me of early Sinead O'Connor.  Can't wait to see what they do next! 

17.  Energetic Fields (Kimchii) - Once the smoke clears up, I'm assuming there will be some pool parties.  This sunny house track is perfect for poolside cocktails.  

18.  Plastic Ferrari (Gregory Dillon) - Matty & Eric passed this my way.  It's like Sam Harris and Rick Astley had a child together!  An embarrassment of 1980s deliciousness.  

19.  In Electric Blue (Alison Goldfrapp) - One final comeback to close us out!  Alison Goldfrapp seems to follow her muse, so I'm so glad that muse led her back onto the dancefloor!  Pulsing electronica and breathy vocals to get you moving!  

So that's July's playlist!  Watch out for stray fireworks, and I'll see ya next month! 

No comments: