Monday, September 30, 2024

Brant's October 2024 Playlist

"So you guys would rather listen to my playlist than eat my brains?!?
I'm flattered, relieved and insulted at the same time!"

It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!  Halloween season is upon us!  In celebration, I've got a few spooky (and spooky-adjacent) tunes thrown into this month's mix.  Also included are some 60's-inspired folk and psych-rock, returning fave artists, and one or two wacky selections just for fun.  Enjoy!  To listen on Spotify, click HERE


1.  Burial Ground (the Decemberists) - What better way to start us off than a song about cemeteries?!?

2.  Look at That Woman (Role Model) - We had him on my March 2023 playlist, and now Mr. Tucker Harrington Pillsbury is back with some Laurel Canyon/West Coast-style pop rock!   

3.  World on a String (Lady Gaga) - A pop star has to reach a certain level of success before they are allowed to get weird.  Fortunately Gaga is there.  This is off her latest album, inspired by her character Harley Quinn in the new Joker movie.  I doubt I'll see the movie, but I did love this deliciously subversive take on an old Cotton Club classic!  

4.  Before I Let Go (Maze feat. Frankie Beverly) - We lost Frankie Beverly last month.  It was impossible not to feel the joy whenever he sang.  RIP

5.  Jupiter (Almost Monday) - Funky alt-rock from frequent Brantworld listees!  

6.  45 Degrees (Laurel) - British Indie-pop singer/songwriter should have a bright future ahead of her if she continues to serve up catchy tunes such as this!  

7.  Literal Bae (Greg Shilling) - Contemporary yacht rock vibes that would make Hall & Oates smile! 

8.  Devil's Gotten Into My Baby (the Devotions) - This is off the Basement Beehive compilation.  I couldn't find much about the group, but I liked the song and it had "devil" in the title so it worked for Halloween too!  #winning 

9.  Sticks + Stones (Gallant) - Trippy acoustic R&B from Maryland singer/songwriter. 

10.  You Stepped Out of a Dream (Samara Joy) - Rich, velvety jazz offering from young Grammy winner.

11.  Sheesh (Little Monarch) - Danceable jazz/R&B from Venice, California collective.  

12.  Dirty Little Secret (Artemas) - New Wave/alt-rock from English-Cypriot singer/songwriter. 

13.  Something On My Mind (Purple Disco Machine feat. Nothing But Thieves & Duke Dumont) - I never would've expected these three to get together, but should've known the results would be great!  

14.  ¿Para QuĂ©? (Ela Taubert) - I really haven't explored Latin music, but with it being Hispanic Heritage Month I decided to check some things out!  I really enjoyed this tune by up-and-coming Colombian singer Ela Taubert!  Shakira better watch her back! 

15.  Backsliders (Sarah Shook & the Disarmers) - NC artist is back with more tasty alt-country!  They're on tour currently so I may try to catch them.  

16.  Along for the Ride (COIN) - It's been about 2 years since COIN made one of my playlists, so I was very excited to see new music from this Tennessee band! 

17.  Brain Freeze (Everyone Says Hi) - British supergroup contains members from the Kaiser Chiefs, the Kooks, Howling Bells and the Dead 60s!  The full album comes out in January, but I'm digging this first psych-rock single.  

18.  Nine to Five (Josef Scott) - Groovy, chill electronica from Indie artist.  (spoiler alert:  It's not the Dolly Parton song!)

19.  Baddy on the Floor (Jamie XX feat Honey Dijon) - Enigmatic beatmaster teams up with DJ, trans activist and BeyoncĂ© collaborator for this energetic dancefloor filler! 

20.  Midnight Madness (Cerrone/Don Ray) - I'm still on a Cerrone kick from last month, so I immediately knew this Halloween disco masterpiece ("Spooky nights!  Freaky lights!") had to close out our October playlist!  

So that's October's playlist!  Hope everyone has a spook-tacular Halloween month and I'll see you in November!  

No comments: