Thursday, August 1, 2013

Brant's August 2013 Playlist

It's August, y'all!  Hard to believe the summer is two thirds over.  Hope everyone has been having a good one.  Here's this month's batch!  To listen click HERE

1.  Dissolve Me (Alt-J) - In my head I picture Fleet Foxes jamming with Laurie Anderson.  Gentle harmonies with a trippy electronic backing. 

2.  Dreams (Passion Pit) - Has it REALLY been 20 years since the Cranberries released this?!?!  Love this cover by Passion Pit.  Pretty sure Pandora shuffled this into my consciousness during a night on the porch with some friends.

3.  Video Killed the Radio Star (Bruce Woolley & the Camera Club) - Discovered this on a recent visit to the Used CD store.  I didn't even know it was a cover when the Buggles did it!

4.  This City's Local Italo Disco DJ Has a Crush On Me (Sally Shapiro) - The title doesn't exactly flow off your tongue, but the easy breezy beats and female vocals remind me of the early 1980's in a Madonna/Tom Tom Club kinda way.

5.  Funny Heartbeat (Kisses) - Bubblegummy pop from LA duo.

6.  Life Is Better With You (Michael Franti & Spearhead) - I guess his Ganja Babe days are behind him, but he's kept his sunny outlook.  I never tire of this guy.  He puts on a great live show if you ever get the chance to see him. 

7.  Life Ain't Fair and the World Is Mean (Sturgill Simpson) - Not quite as sunny in his outlook as Michael Franti, but I'm digging the retro country stylings.  Jill had "You Ain't Dolly" by Ashley Monroe on her last playlist, and it got me in the mood for more of this type of music.

8.  Clear a Space (Lake Street Dive) - This was a Spotify rec, and I liked them.  They also do a great cover of George Michael's "Faith".  The lead singer definitely has been listening to Amy Winehouse and other soul divas.

9.  Second Chances (Gregory Alan Isakov) - Gentle acoustic waltz from Colorado singer/songwriter.

10.  Only In My Dreams (Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti) - Groovy 1960s lo-fi stylings from California band.

11.  The Mother We Share (CHVRCHES) - Complex but catchy Scottish electropop.

12.  Right Action (Franz Ferdinand) - More from Scotland!!!  FF return with their usual sexy alt-rock.

13.  Classic (MKTO) - How can I not like a song that name-checks Prince and Marvin Gaye?!?  J'adore it.

14.  Mysterious (Rodney Hunter) - Robot disco that would make Daft Punk proud!

15.  Hold On When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It (Stars) - Canadian band that sounds like New Order with maybe a touch of The Naked & Famous.

16.  Dear Prudence (The Leslie West Band) - Another stream of consciousness selection inspired by Jill.  She had a cover version of one of my fave Beatles' songs ("Dear Prudence") so I surfed around the Interwebz to see who else had done it.  This was a really cool classic Southern rock interpretation from 1976 that I'd never heard before.

17.  The Bottle Let Me Down (Vince Gill & Paul Franklin) - More classic country vibes from legend Vince Gill.

18.  Cry Me a River (Chante' Moore) - Soul siren gives Julie London's signature tune an astounding update!!!  Her voice sounds strong as ever.  Chante's 1992 hit "Love's Taken Over" is one of my all-time favorite slow jams.

19.  Long Hot Summer (The Style Council) - Eric had a SC tune posted a few weeks ago, and he suggested I put them on the August playlist.  It never takes a lot of arm twisting to get me to listen to anything Paul Weller does (the Jam, Style Council).

So that's August!  Best wishes for a great conclusion to your summer.  See ya next month!



No comments: