Monday, February 3, 2014

Brant's February 2014 Playlist




Wouldn't you know it?!?  The shortest month of the year and I'm late with the playlist.  Sorry folks.  A winter cold had me out of commission, but now I'm lucid enough to get this done.  There's only 24 days left to enjoy, so let's get started!  To listen on Spotify click HERE.


1.  Paint a Smile on Me (Black Yaya) - If there's a God this will become a summer anthem in a few months.  Love its retro 1970s sound.  The best song Stealers Wheel never released!

2.  Forever (Youngblood Hawke) - I had "Say Say" on my June 2013 playlist.  Now the California band is back with this peppy ditty.

3.  Running for Cover (Ivan & Alyosha) - Folk pop from Seattle, WA band

4.  Long Time, Wrong Time (Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings) - The Goddess is baaaaaack!!!  After a bout with cancer, Sharon Jones is back in the driver's seat with her classic soul sounds.

5.  Love Sublime (Tensnake feat. Nile Rodgers and Fiora) - Is it fair to say disco is back?  With releases like "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk (also featuring Chic's Nile Rodgers) and "Take Back the Night" by Justin Timberlake, I think it's a safe statement.  Viva la Disco!!!  This sublime tune by Tensnake sounds like an out-take from a Chic album.

6.  Cheating (John Newman) - Young Englishman belts out some powerful pop!

7.  Wasting My Young Years (London Grammar) - This reminds me of a band called Clannad that I used to listen to with my college roomie!  Younger folks will likely be reminded of the also excellent Florence and the Machine.  Great vocals!!!

8.  Good Red Wine (Stephen Kellogg) - Not sure how I came across this one, but it has really poignant lyrics about relationships, communication, etc.   And wine...he also mentions wine.

9.  All I Have to Do Is Dream (the Everly Brothers) - We lost Phil Everly and Pete Seeger this past month!  This is my In Memoriam tune in their honor.  The Everly's harmonies still hold up well almost 60 years later!

10.  Overstand (Dead Prez) - The latest from the controversial NYC hip hop act.

11.  Digital Witness (St. Vincent) - Wacky musician returns with another quirky hit.  Remember when Prince was going through his experimental phase (circa Lovesexy)?  That's kind of what this reminds me of, but definitely contemporary sounding.

12.  Millionaire (Scouting for Girls) - Easy breezy pop from the group's "Greatest Hits" compilation.

13.  Runaway Daydreamer (Sophie Ellis-Bextor) - "Murder on the Dancefloor" diva is back but she's traded her retro-dance stylings for a more atmospheric 1960s sound.  Move over, Petula Clark!

14.  Riptide (Vance Joy) - Bouncy acoustic folk from Australian singer-songwriter.

15.  Dreaming Without You (Bleached) - Delicious California garage-rock.  Someone on iTunes described this as "The Ramones meet the Ronettes"!

16.  Time for a Change (Elephanz) - Hmmmm...wish I could tell you something about this band, but all their promo stuff is in French.  They're a French band.  And they play great New Wave music!

17.  Elizabeth (the Airborne Toxic Event) - Figured since this was February, I'd end with a love song!  Well, it sounds like a love song.  He's never known love so this is his "best guess".


So that's February!  Hope everyone has a great one and I'll see ya in March!

No comments: