Saturday, March 3, 2018

Brant's March 2018 Playlist



Phew!  I'm a few days late on this one.  I knew February was going to be a busy month, and unfortunately fun activities like exploring new music had to take a back seat.  Anyway, all is back to normal now, so let's get into it!  Last month skewed a little towards R&B, and this month I kept the beats going with a focus on dance and electronica.  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.

1.  Make Me Feel (Janelle Monáe) - America's favorite cyborg is back with some Prince-inspired funk!  The video is awesome too.

2.  Out of Love /Jaded Remix/ (Indiia feat. Whitney Phillips) - Island-y beats from Stockholm duo.

3.  Faded Heart (BØRNS) - Michigan artist is back with a sophomore album, and I was totally digging the Glam rock vibes on this new tune.

4.  My Enemy (Chvrches with Matt Berninger) - The National's lead singer stops by the studio to duet with festival buddies Chvrches!

5.  Until We Get There (Lucius) - Angelic vocals over an easy, 1970s-sounding acoustic guitar track.

6.  Ripple (Roots of Creation with G. Love and Special Sauce and Melvin Seals) - Grateful Dead staple is reimagined as a reggae jam, and I can already tell this will be on heavy rotation for me as summer approaches!

7.  All On My Mind (Anderson East) - Southern soul singer is back with this emotive ballad.

8.  My My My! (Troye Sivan) - I actually had this on last month's playlist, but bumped it because its reverb-heavy vocals didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the songs.  It seems much more at home on this month's list!  Great pop performance from openly gay Australian singer/actor.

9.  Valerie (Ra Ra Riot) - File this under "Songs I Never Thought I'd Hear Covered".  From 2012, but it popped up on Pandora and I liked it.  Indie band cover the 1980s Steve Winwood hit.

10.  More of the Same (Caroline Rose) - Urban ennui has never sounded so intriguing!

11.  The Good Life (Blossom Dearie) - I finally tracked down Blossom's 1963 album, "Blossom Dearie Sings Rootin' Songs"!  She recorded it for Hires Root Beer immediately after leaving the Verve label, and it was never widely distributed, which is unfortunate because it has some choice tunes on it.  Here she sings the Tony Bennett classic in her own intimate style.  Not on Spotify (obviously) but you can listen to it here.

12.  How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore (Danielle Nicole) - The often covered Prince song gets a bluesy treatment from former Trampled Under Foot singer/bassist.

13.  Don't Matter Now (George Ezra) - Peppy first single from the English singer/songwriter's sophomore album!

14.   Rosebud (U.S. Girls) - Breathy vocals over a disco-flavored track that vaguely reminds me of "I'll Be Around" by the Spinners.

15.  Have a Seat (En Vogue feat. Snoop Dogg) - I had no idea they were doing a comeback album!  This sassy tune feels true to their legacy, while also evoking memories of earlier girl groups like Diana Ross and the Supremes!  Viva En Vogue!!!

16.  Dancing /Initial Talk Remix/ (Kylie Minogue) - I love Kylie already, but especially gravitated towards this glorious 80s-influenced remix.  Thanks to Gary for bringing it to my attention!

17.  Make You Mine (Saint Wknd feat. Boy Matthews) - German artist delivers some 90s-influenced dance pop to get your Saint Paddy's Day party shakin'!

18.  Feedback Loop (CHAPPO) - Indie rockers close us out with this toe-tappin', slightly psychedelic jam. 

So that's March!  Hope everyone has a safe and festive St. Patrick's Day.  See ya next month!

No comments: