Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Brant's July 2020 Playlist



Summer is in full swing, but you'd never know it to look outside!  Instead of joyful cha-cha lines of skaters, everyone is social distancing.  Concerts and baseball - also cancelled.  Thanks, Coronavirus.  On the bright side - there's still lots of music coming out.  I found myself gravitating towards personal faves this time around - artists who have appeared on multiple playlists, fun covers of favorite songs.  Maybe it's the audible version of "comfort food".  Anyway, hope you enjoy!  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.

1.  Come On (Mondo Cozmo) - Philadelphia indie rocker gets us started with this Beatles-esque anthem.

2.  The Steps (HAIM) - The HAIM sisters keep the classic rock vibes going with their latest ditty.

3.  Country Boy Lovin' (Dillon Carmichael) - Spotify suggested this and I immediately gravitated towards its Randy Travis/Alan Jackson old-school country sound.

4.  Dancing On My Own (Grouplove) - Alt rockers cover Robyn's 2010 hit.

5.  One More Song /Lazywax Remix/ (Classixx feat. Roosevelt) - I will follow Roosevelt anywhere.  His voice is like musical Xanax in all the best ways.

6.  Maniac (Conan Gray) - Some bubblegum pop also calms the nerves!

7.  Girlfriend (Charlie Puth) - Another personal fave returns with this R&B jam.

8.  The Man That Got Away (Billy Porter) - "Pose" has become one of my favorite shows, and this was from season two.  Billy Porter covers Judy and proves that he truly is a gift we mortals do not deserve!

9.  Witness 4 the Prosecution /Version 1/ (Prince) - The Prince estate continues to raid the vaults, and it's hard to be mad about that with so many great songs coming out!  This is from the Super Deluxe edition of "Sign o' the Times", to be fully released this September.

10.  Lie Out Loud (Bloxx) - English band serves up some energetic rock.

11.  Read My Lips (Jessie Ware) - It was hard to pick just one song from Jessie's latest album, but I finally settled on this one - 80s-flavored soul that is part Evelyn "Champagne" King, part, Jody Watley, and 100% divine.  Thanks, Eric, for reminding the album was out!

12.  Kings and Queens (Ava Max) - I kinda thought Ava might be a one-hit wonder after "Sweet but Psycho", but I stand corrected!

13.  Perfect Way to Die (Alicia Keys) - Alicia giving me all the feels with this tribute to the victims of police brutality.

14.  Letting Me Down (Margo Price) - Soft country-rock from Nashville artist.

15.  Take Me Home, Country Roads (Whitney feat. Waxahatchee) - I will also follow Waxahatchee anywhere!  Here, she joins Chicago Indie band for a heartfelt John Denver classic.

16.  Wonderwall (Teemid) - This came on the other night and it took me a while to fully appreciate what I was hearing.  French artist takes the Oasis anthem and completely reinvents it!

17.  Automatic Lover (Wolfram feat. Peaches) - Another unexpected cover - this time, dance/punk diva Peaches covers an obscure disco space jam!

18.  I Love America (Patrick Juvet) - With Independence Day coming up, I had to include something pro-USA.  This tune by (ironically!) French singer Patrick Juvet fit the bill!  Not on Spotify, but you can listen to it here.

So that's July's list!  Hope everybody has a safe and happy holiday, and I'll see you next month!  Wear your face masks!!!

No comments: