Sunday, December 31, 2023

Brant's January 2024 Playlist

When 2023 has kicked your arse, but you are determined
to be optimistic about the New Year... 



It's hard to believe a new year is beginning, but here we are.  The holidays were pretty uneventful here, for which I'm grateful.  Anyway - here's January's list!  We've got some cool cover songs, a few returning faves, and the usual mix of pop, rock and disco!  Enjoy!  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.


1.  Beautiful Stranger (the Dip) - Madonna gets the Memphis soul treatment! 

2.  Life Goes By (Almost Monday) - This San Diego Indie band never disappoints when serving up some high-energy alt-rock!  See also 2023's March and April playlists.  

3.  Sweet Is the Night (Juliana Hatfield) - I think one of the things I've enjoyed most about Juliana's ELO cover album is discovering the ELO songs I missed the first time around.  Case in point!  

4.  Ray-Bans (Dagny) - Another artist who's been on previous playlists returns and reminds me why I love this Norwegian singer/songwriter!  

5.  Get Me Started (Troye Sivan) - Young pop star shows no signs of slowing down with his latest album!  

6.  Gold (Austin Millz & Aluna) - Mitch turned me on to this!  Harlem dance music artist teams up with Welsh singer for this glittery ditty! 

7.  Children /What Time It Is/ (Billy Porter feat. Lady Blackbird) - Whoa.  Two powerhouse vocalists get together for some uplifting gospel!  Brings to mind great diva collaborations like "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" by Barbra Streisand & Donna Summer.  

8.  CooCool (Róisín Murphy) - Quirky Irish singer serves up some newfangled soul.  Imagine if an AI program tried to re-create Dusty Springfield and you get the idea! 

9.  Thought U Knew (Leela James) - The latest from R&B powerhouse.  I will follow Leela anywhere.  

10.  Tonight (Superlover) - Upbeat jazz funk from Berlin-based DJ.

11.  Attendance Record (Sadie Leigh) - Slinky vocals over jazzy beats that bring Macy Gray to mind.  

12.  Going to Town (Rufus Wainwright feat. Anohni) - Another delicious collaboration from Rufus's great "Folkocracy" album! 

13.  Sound and Fury (Margo Cilker) - This was on NPR's "Best of 2023" list, and I immediately downloaded it!  Great traditional folk performance from up-and-coming Californian.  

 14.  Spit You Out (Isla June) - Powerful rock anthem from L.A. Indie artist.  

15.  Bloom (Aidan Bissett) - Pop rock with soaring vocals that would make Tal Bachman proud!  

16.  Sex and Money (Lydia Loveless) - Ambitious alt-country from Ohio singer/songwriter.  

17.  Bougainvillea (Nymphlord) - Nymphlord is the stage name of Tia Rabinovitz.  I wasn't able to find out too much about her, but I love her retro-90s garage band vibe!  

18.  She's On My Mind (Romy) - Former lead singer of the XX ("Crystallized") goes solo, and leans into the effervescent 1970s disco sound with glorious results!  

19.  Danger (the Star Sisters) - This song is from 1985 but I only discovered it recently.  It should've been a bigger hit, IMHO, but I guess they got lost in the shuffle between Exposé and Taylor Dayne and every other 1980s dance-pop female act.  I'll be adding them to my 80s playlists moving forward - better late than never!  

20.  Crashland (Maris) - Speaking of 1980s dance-pop, Maris is definitely channeling that energy and I'm here for it!  

So that's our first playlist for the New Year!  Hope everyone has a safe and happy month and I'll see you in February!  

No comments: