Thursday, February 1, 2024

Brant's February 2024 Playlist

"Hey,  AI - show me Valentine's Day at Club Discobrant!" 



We're one month into 2024 and pulling together this month's playlist snuck up on me!  I cobbled something together so see what you think.  As always, to listen on Spotify, click HERE.

1.  Call Me Wild (Corey Wong feat. dodie) - I thought this funky R&B jam, that is giving me Tom Tom Club energy, would be a nice way to start us off.  

2.   Standing Next to You (Jung Kook) - Former BTS dude is serving disco-adjacent K-pop! 

3.  yes, and? (Ariana Grande) - TBH, I thought Ariana's comeback song might pack more of a wollop, but this'll do for now.  Curious to hear the rest of the new album.  

4.  Coffee (j.flowers.mp3 feat Ralph Taylor) - Jazzy R&B from London-based artist.  

5.  Running (Lois) - Easygoing Indie pop perfect for sipping coffee in the early Spring chill. 

6.  The Place That Makes Me Happy (the Moss) - We had them exactly one year ago on a February playlist, and they're back with more feel-good alt rock!  

7.  Good Vibrations (Nectar Woode) - Classic soul from Ghanian/English singer-songwriter.  

8.  Why Try to Change Me Now (Fiona Apple) - I heard this on a rerun of "House" recently and immediately had to track it down!  Is there nothing that Fiona can't sing???

9.  Arms (San Fermin) - I thought this was the National when I first heard it, which is absolutely a compliment!  

10.  This Time /live/ (Neal Francis) - Note to self: I need to catch Neal Francis when he comes through NC.  This live number is getting me excited for summer and concert season!  

11.  Harry Styles (DACEY) - Funky R&B from Canadian artist

12.  Fader (Róisín Murphy) - Oh, Róisín!  I already loved you, and then you threw in the Sharon Jones sample!  As they used to say on Wayne's World, "We're not worthy!!!"

13.  Hush (Cocktail Slippers) - Every now and again I like to go back and see what bands I used to play all the time are up to.  What a treat to find Cocktail Slippers covering one of my fave 1960s songs

14.  Come Close (Jake Scott) - One of those starry-eyed love songs that would be perfect for your favorite rom-com!  

15.  Igual Que Un Ángel (Kali Uchis feat. Peso Pluma) - My Spanish is WAAAAAY rusty, but delicious tunes like this Kali Uchis duet make me wanna brush up! 

16.  Double Yellow (Ghostryder feat. boy jones) - Sunny West Coast pop to get your toes tappin'!

17.  Waterfall (Zinadelphia) - Philly artist is serving confidence with a heapin' helpin' of soul.  

18.  You're Just a Boy and I'm Kinda the Man (Maisie Peters) - British lass tells it like it is with no apologies.  Never has disappointment sounded like so much fun!  

19.  Hell N Back (Bakar feat. Summer Walker) - Summer Walker lends her appealing vocals to this slightly retro-sounding hit song from last year. 

20.  Train from Kansas City (the Shangri-Las) - What a drag to see that Mary Weiss (lead singer of the Shangri-Las) had passed in January.  It was hard to choose just one song to put on this month's playlist, but I finally landed on this lesser-known ballad that is a personal fave of mine.  RIP Mary.

So that's February!  Hope everyone has a great month.  Stay warm and I'll see ya next month! 

No comments: