Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Flawed Focus

So I got some disturbing news this past week. I went in for my annual eye exam and was informed that I now need bifocals. BIFOCALS!!!! The spectre of my mortality is now standing right in front of me--although apparently I won’t be able to see it without prescription lenses. Personally I blame dentistry. I was perfectly fine when I started dental school 17 years ago.

I went ahead and ordered some new lenses, but frankly I’m not sure I will wear them. I’m not convinced I really want razor sharp vision. What if, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, it is part of God’s plan for our eyesight to fail as we age? At least that way we can’t see the ravages of time upon our bodies. Do we really want 20/20 vision to behold every wrinkle, grey hair, and extra pound as they appear?

I remember when high definition televisions first came out. All of the display models at the electronics stores were playing a looped video of fish swimming, and the picture was so clear it looked like the televisions were aquariums. Amazing. But then you got home with the new tv and began watching your favorite shows. Suddenly every blemish on the face of your favorite celebrity was visible. It’s shocking the first time you see it. The celebrities of a certain age seem to suffer the most. Nobody over the age of 30 needs a high definition camera pointed at them.

You have to wonder what this will do for the careers of television personalities. When the movie industry made the transition from silent films to “talkies” there was a percentage of stars who did not survive the switch. They were incredibly photogenic but did not have speaking voices to match their faces. The movie “Singing in the Rain” tells this story in a funny and entertaining manner, but it was a tragedy to the celebrities who suddenly found themselves without a forum for their talent. As public demand for beautiful celebrities increases, and technological advances are making it more and more difficult to hide one’s flaws--who will be left to stand in front of the cameras?

The answer lies with the audience--either the audience will be willing to accept their celebrities with a few zits and wrinkles, or the audience will reject any flawed icons and only worship those who are, or appear to be, perfect. I hate to say it, but I think I know what the answer will be. Once I get my bifocals, I’ll be looking at zits and wrinkles in the mirror every day. That’s hard enough to accept. I don’t know if I have it in myself to also accept a ridiculously overpaid celebrity with zits and wrinkles too. I want my tv set to be the one place I can look and have a flawless face staring back at me.

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

Screw the glasses...you can't trust optometrists anyway.