Thursday, May 23, 2024

Brant's June 2024 Playlist

Big hands, I know you're the one! 


In case you were wondering - this is my first playlist since April.  Mom passed away mid-April and frankly I didn't have it in me to pull together a playlist for May.  To make up for it, this month we've got a super-sized list (25 songs!!!) - and it's early so you can have it for the holiday weekend.  There's some Pride-ready dance tunes, folk-rock, and other stuff to enjoy.  It's good to be back.  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.

1.  Lighter (Galantis feat. 5 Seconds of Summer) - Lemme just say, after an extended period of intense grief - nothing sounded better than something light and fun!

2.  Super Graphic Ultra Modern Girl (Chappell Roan) - IMHO, Roan is the New Hope for pop music!  I can't get enough of her positivity and youthful exuberance!  Viva Chappell!

3.  Famous (Parcels) - From Season 3 of "Hacks", but it was Gary who called this to my attention!  Great retro/disco vibes that would make Jamiroquai and Patrick Juvet proud!  

4.  Fkn Around (Phony PPL feat Megan Thee Stallion) - More disco vibes with a tasty assist from current It Girl of rap music.  

5.  Arizona (Carter Vail) - Folksy alt-rock from Nashville artist/producer.

6.  Glass and Gold (Clover County) - If this singer/songwriter (real name = A.G. Schiano) is any indication, there's still some great music coming out of Athens, GA.  She's touring now, so here's hoping she stops through Charlotte!

7.  My Love Is Like a Waterfall (Peacemode) - Another fantabulous folk-rocker I've found - this time hailing from the UK and now in Southern California!

8.  Shake Shake (Jon Muq) - Soothing island vibes from Austin, TX resident/Ugandan native. 

9.  French Exit (Dua Lipa) - TBH I was a tad underwhelmed with Dua Lipa's latest offering, but I did enjoy this particular song from the new album.    

10.  Chemical Sunset (Orville Peck and Allison Russell) - I would never have put these two together, but it absolutely works in this nihilistic duet.  

11.  After the Revolution (Carsie Blanton) - We had her on April's playlist, and I'm happy to put another one of her songs into rotation!  This kinda gives me Lucinda Williams & Juliana Hatfield vibes.  

12.  Why Won't You Pick Up the Phone? (Wes Parker) - Enjoyable acoustic number from Massachusetts artist.

13.  It's a Happening World (Lesley Gore) - I recently acquired Lesley's unreleased album "Magic Colors" from 1969.  This is the opening song, and it's a delight.  I can't believe her label never released the album.  Anyway, it's not on Spotify, but you can listen to it HERE.  

14.  Holster (the Strumbellas) - I had them on my March 2016 playlist, but regrettably this Canadian band slipped off my radar.  What a treat to rediscover them!  Reverb-heavy, singalong chorus perfect for driving with the windows down on a warm summer evening.  

15.  You Spin Me Round (Nouvelle Vague feat. Alonya) - Another band I haven't heard in a while!  This time they are serving a burlesque version of Dead or Alive's 1985 classic, and I am here for it!  Yaaaaas, queen! 

16.  Trashy State of Mind (Kahone Concept) - Mysterious Pittsburgh artist sounds like he'd be a blast at a party!  

17.  Big Time Nothing (St. Vincent) - Yaaaaaay!  We have a new St. Vincent album!  And what a funky lil' number this song is!  Prince would approve.

18.  Every Emotion /John J-C Carr Extended Remix/ (Bright Light Bright Light feat. Ultra Naté) - I feel like if you went to a laboratory and had them concoct a song for Pride 2024, it wouldn't be any better than what we have here!  Fun, danceable beat?  check.  Cameo vocals from a dance music legend?  check.  Extended mix?  check.  Enjoy!  And Happy Pride! 

19.  Bodyguard (Beyoncé) - That's correct.  We're not done with Cowboy Carter just yet!

20.  Cozy (Jeremy Zucker, Lauv, and Alexander 23) - Trio of young artists team up for this sweet prom-ready tune!

21.  Trouble (Laufey) - She teamed up with beabadoobee on November's playlist for a fun bossa nova.  Here she continues to channel old-school jazz vibes with this gorgeous ballad.  

22.  What My Heart Is For (Quiet Houses) - Glittery dream pop from Indie UK duo.

23.  It's All Good (Rachel West & Izzy Harlow) - Fun, summery pop song with some fantastic old-school samples!  

24.  Borrowed Time (Cosmo's Midnight feat. Forest Claudette) - Poolside loungy beats from Australian brothers.

25.  The One Who Knows (Dar Williams) - I just saw Dar a few weeks ago.  She performed this song, and when she explained it was about parents and children I could barely keep it together.  RIP Mom, and thanks Dar for this beautiful song.  

So that's June's playlist.  Hope everyone has a safe and relaxing Memorial Day weekend, and I'll see you in July! 




No comments: