Monday, July 1, 2024

Brant's July 2024 Playlist

Leaning into summer like... 


Summer is in full swing, so there's nothing to do but to lean into it!  This month's playlist is chock full of summery vibes - lots of Indie rock, hot soul, and even a reggae tune to boot!  To listen on Spotify, click HERE.

1.  Sweet Dream (Tommy Newport) - Kansas-based Indie rocker kicks us off with this toe-tapper!

2.  Rainbow (Cage the Elephant) - Funky psych-rock from frequent Brantworld listees. 

3.  I'm the Man (JUNO) - We had them on last November's playlist, and they're back with more sunny pop! 

4.  I Don't Feel Anything (Kate Peytavin) - Social media star/artist serves up some teenage existential numbness!  

5.  Cinderella (Remi Wolf) - California-based former American Idol contestant is always good for some easy-going West Coast pop. 

6.  I'm Not Bitter (Daďi Freyr) - Iceland is about as far from California as you can get, but they both found a home in Brantworld!  

7.  Tonight I Give In (Angela Bofill) - I love me some Angela Bofill, so it was heartbreaking to see she passed away last month.  This was one of her biggest ballads, and it sounds as fresh today as it did when she released it back in 1983.  RIP.  

8.  HERicane (Lucky Daye) - Another American Idol alum (and a Grammy winner!) returns with this breezy R&B number. 

9.  Everything She Wants (Gus Dapperton) - More 80s gold - this time with a cover of Wham!'s 1984 hit

10.  Hi Grace (Dominic Fike) - Where does the time go?  We last had Dominic Fike on my February 2019 playlist!  5 years later, he's back with this heavily-mixed ditty.  Kinda sounds like Bob Dylan if he had a hip hop studio!  

11.  Backbone /It's Not Over/ (Morgxn) - LA-based artist vaguely reminds me of the Killers, in all the best ways!

12.  Bells and Whistles (Bright Eyes) - I was torn between this song and "The Living Thing" from the Deluxe Edition Monsters of Folk album.  Either way, we get new Conor Oberst!  Yay!!!  

13.  Bleach (Dexter and the Moonrocks) - These guys describe their sound as "Western Space Grunge" and I can totally hear it!  Can't wait to explore more of their catalog.  

14.  Long to Be Home (Morgan Heritage and Eddy Kenzo) - It wouldn't be summer without some reggae, so here ya go!  I saw the lead singer of this band just died, which is sad.  RIP

15.  Comin' Around Again (Amber Mark) - Amber is giving me early Chaka Khan vibes here! 

16.  Easy to Love (Aaron Frazer) - Peppy disco-funk from Baltimore artist. 

17.  Bring Back the Beat (Pixey) - Pixey has become another artist I turn to when I need some upbeat dance-pop.  She never disappoints! 

18.  Drifting (Jacklen Ro) - Indie pop duo from LA is serving beautiful harmonies over warm beats and I cannot get enough!  

19.  Sea of Heartbreak (Don Gibson) - This was on the soundtrack of a show I was watching recently (perhaps "Hacks"?) and I made a note to download it.  Don Gibson was a Country Music Hall of Fame inductee but I'd never heard of him!  Happy to make the discovery. 

20.  About America (the Wandering Hearts) - I didn't really have a patriotic song to acknowledge Independence Day, so here's a song by a UK band with America in the title!  Gorgeous Americana stylings, I must say!  

So that's July's playlist!  Hope everyone has a safe and fun Independence Day and I'll see you in August! 

No comments: